Dallas Legal Blog

Get Started – Contact Us

Obtaining a fiancé visa

Social media and dating apps are helping people fall in love with others from around the world. Though this is a pivotal time in a person’s life, couples may encounter obstacles to marry in the United States.

You will need to obtain a fiancé visa if you would like to bring your fiancé to the United States. To get a K-1 fiancé visa, the purpose of entry into the United states must be to marry within 90 days. This marriage must be valid and you should intend to build a life together.

Marital property designation in your second marriage

After the first time did not work out, you have a second chance at love. It may be difficult for your children to have a stepparent, but you hope that down the line they will come to accept your new spouse as part of the family.

However, there might be some stuff you have to take care of from your first marriage before you can enjoy this new one. Whether it involves your children’s inheritance or a retirement plan established during a previous marriage, there is much to go over to ensure that all parties will have a well-planned future.

Making changes to a child support arrangement

Life consists of various experiences and changes. Perhaps when you agreed to a child support payment plan, you held a different job, lived in a different home and your child attended grade school. Your current child support no longer fits the needs of your older son or daughter. Your own status may have changed. In either situation, your payments need altering.

Supporting a child through child support allows for an equal share in expenses from both parents. As the noncustodial parent, you aid your child immensely by providing money.

Divorce and residency status

Love and marriage are always complicated as two people bring their lives together. Immigration status issues on top of the emotional issues only makes it much more difficult.

If you, your spouse, or your ex-spouse are in the United States as a conditional resident, there are many things to consider before separating. Depending on many factors, the break-up of a marriage can result in deportation action or financial support action that you need to anticipate.

Prenuptial agreements and permanent residents

Concerns over residency status are encouraging a lot of hurry-up marriages today. Certainly, anyone whose fiancée has been granted a K1 visa needs to be married within 90 days of arriving in the United States.

The rush to get married is producing a lot of anxiety. With that often comes a natural desire to protect yourself with a solid prenuptual agreement, or prenup. It is difficult to arrange a good one quickly, especially one that does not affect permanent residency down the road.

What are my rights in an immigration raid?

Anti-immigration efforts have been increasing throughout the United States, and Texas is no different. With the Trump administration cracking down on illegal immigration, many people are worried about their immigration status. Even immigrants who are in the country lawfully have been unjustly targeted by U.S. Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Even if you are living in Texas legally, you may still be at risk for an ICE audit. In case an agent comes knocking at your door, you should know your rights under U.S. law. These are the rights that you are entitled to in an immigration raid.

What can a felony mean to your immigration status?

As the topic of immigration remains at the forefront of public discourse, some non-citizen U.S. residents may feel as though they’re walking on eggshells. In such a time of great uncertainty, visa or green card holders may be unsure of what exactly could put their residency in peril. While our nation’s leaders continue to debate immigration policy, a non-citizen resident’s best practice remains staying out of trouble with the law.

In terms of putting yourself at risk for deportation, getting a felony conviction is about the worst thing that a non-citizen can do. While felony convictions come in different degrees of magnitude for citizens, they can almost uniformly leave a pathway to deportation for those who are simply residents. If you or a family member is looking at felony charges, it’s important to have a grasp on the possible immigration status outcomes..

Can your ex-spouse move to a different state with your child?

In the event of a divorce or separation, co-parenting can be a tricky path to navigate. There is compromise, patience and sacrifice that goes into the division of parenting duties, and sometimes a big change by one parent can be cataclysmic to what might be an already tenuous situation.

One example of such an action could be the custodial parent moving to a different state. While there may be good reason to make such a move—a higher paying job or a better quality of life—it’s a decision that warrants much thought and consideration.

From Fiancée To Permanent Resident

The responsibility to file paperwork may not be as appealing as the excitement of planning a wedding and the celebrations that surround the big day, but it must be done to get married in the United States. If you’re a United States Citizen, you have a chance to bring your fiancée from another country to marry in the United States by sponsoring him or her for a K-1 visa.

Here are some important K-1 visa facts to know before you begin the K-1 process of filing a Petition for Alien Fiancée.

Here's what you should know about green card marriage interviews

As the old saying goes, love conquers all distance. Still, it is much easier to be near someone you love than far away. Now that you and your foreign-born spouse are married, you may be wondering how to get them a green card so that they can remain with you in the United States.

Your spouse can apply for a green card, but there is a significant step to take before it is approved. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is concerned that some couples get married solely to obtain one spouse a green card. For your spouse's green card application to be approved, you must sit through an interview with USCIS to prove that your marriage is authentic.