From Fiancée To Permanent Resident

Get Started – Contact Us

The responsibility to file paperwork may not be as appealing as the excitement of planning a wedding and the celebrations that surround the big day, but it must be done to get married in the United States. If you’re a United States Citizen, you have a chance to bring your fiancée from another country to marry in the United States by sponsoring him or her for a K-1 visa.

Here are some important K-1 visa facts to know before you begin the K-1 process of filing a Petition for Alien Fiancée.

Am I Able To Sponsor A K-1 Visa?

The top requirement for K-1 visa sponsorship is that you are a citizen of the United States. Here are some other things that you’ll need to prove that:

• Both you and your fiancée are eligible for marriage, and any previous marriages are legally ended

• Your wedding will be within 90 days of your fiancée’s entry into the United States

• You and your fiancée have met in person within two years of your K-1 petition filing

If your cultural customs prohibit meeting before the marriage or you cannot prove that you’ve met, you’ll need to get a waiver for the exception.

Petition For Alien Fiancée

Filing the Petition for Alien Fiancée is the first step in the sponsorship process that will end with your future spouse marrying you and later becoming a permanent resident.

Once The Visa Is Granted

Once the federal government grants the K-1 visa to your fiancée, he or she has six months to come to the United States. Your fiancée may also file an Application for Employment Authorization to work in the United States.

After The Wedding

Once you both are married, your spouse can file a Petition for Alien Relative and the Adjustment of Status to obtain a K-3 visa and begin the transition to permanent resident.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information